Tuesday, December 5, 2017

In the News: Cosmopolitan

Reverend Dr. Megan Rohrer Talks Faith And Gender As an Out Transgender Minister

"I'm a pastor. I'm a parent. I'm transgender. I am a work in progress."
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/lifestyle/a14106086/reverend-meghan-rohrer-vido/

Reverend Dr. Megan Rohrer (pronouns they/them) is a "work in progress," they said. Raised in South Dakota, Rohrer was part of a heavily Lutheran community growing up. 
"You can imagine it's not the most fun place to figure out you're trans," they said.
In college, Megan says they were constantly harassed, and some students would use the Gospel of Matthew to insinuate it'd be better if they drowned in the ocean.
Despite the hatred, Rohrer found a way to rise above and use their faith as a source of love and acceptance. Rohrer says they received enough abuse to prompt them to pursue religious education. "I did a lot of studying and I ended up becoming a pastor," they said. "Just trying to vocalize what I knew in my gut was OK."
RUBEN CHAMORRO

Rohrer is the first openly transgender pastor in the Lutheran Church, and they educate others about the importance of acceptance, saying the key to combatting prejudice is to always be your best self and, in turn, be louder than fear.
"I THINK THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I CAN SAY AS A QUEER PASTOR IS 'I'M SORRY.'''
"Using faith to tear other people down is not good news," they said. "We need to all be as loud and as angry as the people who want to declare that there are types of people that God can't love."
Rohrer has written several works relating to faith and the LGBT community, which can be purchased here.
Interview/directed by: Senior video producer, Jason Ikeler
Videographer: Josh Archer
Video edited by: Andy Clancy
Video graphics by: Jené Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment