Tuesday, July 21, 2015

In the News: Des Moines Register

Travel is tricky for transgender population

 
 
As a transgender Lutheran pastor I was saddened by the article, “Arrested While Transgender: Sex of inmate tests jailers,” [July 17] not only because of the injustice of the arrest, but the unfortunate reporting of information about Meagan Taylor’s medical status and private parts.

Since the information is already out there, I hope that people will use it as an opportunity to learn about the discrimination that trans individuals face as we travel and the on-going diversity training that is needed for individuals working in hospitality, law enforcement and criminal justice.

Born and raised in Sioux Falls, S.D., a part of my heart will always be in the Midwest. A few weeks ago, when I was presiding at a wedding, I was afraid. Each hotel stay, each trip to the bathroom was a possible encounter with violence or discrimination. The article about Taylor reminds me that my fears are real.

From the safety of my home in San Francisco, I pray this story will move us ever closer to the just world that we all long for. May God bless Taylor, Des Moines and all who are trying to do their best in a time when the world is changing so fast.

— Pastor Megan Rohrer, Grace Lutheran, San Francisco, Calif.

No comments:

Post a Comment